History

Learn more on the History of the Island Farm

 

Etheridge Homeplace: A History

By Penne Smith
This publication was printed by Outer Banks Conservationists on the occasion of a gathering of Etheridge descendents on October 6, 2001 at the Homeplace now known as Island Farm. It was printed as a progress report on research completed on the history of the farmstead.

The descendants were brought together to share stories, history and photographs of their ancestral property in an attempt by OBC to gather additional information that will be helpful in completing the research as well as the restoration/re-construction of the farmstead. Upon completion of the project, OBC will open the property to the public to interpret life on Roanoke Island in the mid-19th century.
Excerpt from inside cover of Etheridge Homeplace: A History written by Penne Smith.

Please click on the cover to view or download a PDF of the book. (approx. 7mb)

The Etheridge Family Tree

The Island Farm or Etheridge Homeplace traces its beginnings back to January of 1757 when Jesse Etheridge acquired a 150-acre tract from Joseph Mann. In 1787, Jesse purchased another 150 acres, which gave him access to Roanoke Sound and early maps indicate that it was on this property that he built a home. But it was Jesse’s grandson, Adam Dough Etheridge, who built the house that is the heart of Island Farm today.

Please click the image to view larger

1820 Map of Roanoke Island

1820 map by Hamilton Fulton, CHief Engineer to the state of North Carolina, shows the Adam Etheridge (sic) farm location on the north-end of Roanoke Island.

Please click the image to view larger